Friday, December 9, 2011

Decorating for Christmas

Have you finished all your decorating for Christmas? I finished up last week (a week long process).....and am now totally in the Christmas spirit! Matthew and I have been listening to the Christmas station all day every day, I baked up Christmas cookies for a party, and I'm pretty sure there's several empty containers of eggnog in our recycling bin. (We LOVE that stuff!...with a little sprinkle of nutmeg, please. :)


Okay now....ready for picture overload??? Brace yourself. 


I was excited to decorate our mantel this year because of our newly updated make-shift mantel. I'll just go ahead and say it...I hated the way it used to look with the ugly grapevine fireplace screen that was oh-so-NOT my style. Now I love it! 






I made this stocking for Matthew the first year we got married. I made it using a pair of satin pants found at a thrift store, added some fur trim, and the tree was created using decorative pillow fringe in progressive lengths, a few red buttons for ornaments, strings of beads, a gold star button, and embroidery floss to stitch a "trunk" and his name. It was a labor of love...and the best part is...I was able to use a pocket from the pair of pants to create a "secret stash" pocket! In years past I've put a small bottle of wine in it or a chocolate bar. YUM! Go here to see. 






I made this sweet little stocking last year for Cole's first Christmas. I'm in the middle of making him a larger stocking made from the same sweater material, but until I finish it (which very well may not be until next year!) this one will stand in its place. I plan to update it though...I think a little wooden "C" hanging from the loop would be cute, or maybe some jingle bells?




And here is my stocking lovingly cross-stitched by my Momma and was mine all growing up. Some day I may make another one but for now, I love the little angels, the soft colors, and the memories that ensue. 




For the mantel I kept it simple with fresh greens and pinecones. The candlesticks I bought at hobby lobby several years ago and love the vintage look of them. 




Sweet vintage looking Santa. 



Simple "NOEL" letters craft using wooden letters, craft glue and silver glitter. Love!




The stonework above the mantel needed a little something, so I fashioned this wreath using fresh greens that I snatched up when we purchased our tree. It's awesome that they let you have as many discards as you want. I think I must have taken almost the entire pile! The turquoise isn't a traditional Christmas color I know, but it matches our home so that's the color I use for Christmas. I looove this ribbon and use it everywhere!








Sleeping Santa ceramic figure on side table. So sweet! I found this at a resale shop for $2.00 and snatched it right up because my family has one that looks exactly like it and it was always such a fun decoration to bring out each year. (I'm so sentimental....this can get me into trouble sometimes though). 




And now for the tree! I love the smell of a real tree! In real life the tree seems to take up the whole room but looking at this picture it appears that the wall behind it is enormous and bare. And it looks like I need to get wrapping too! ;)


This year I used vintage Christmas postcards to accent our already growing stash, which is in mostly golds, browns, rosy pinks, silver and turquoise. 




Here's a look at a couple up close. I just love the old artwork and greetings! 








A new addition...love how sparkly and pretty he is. ;)




I made this little house ornament several years ago when I was inspired by the cardboard houses that were so popular in the 1940's and 50's. 




This turquoise ornament is one in a set of eight (some are larger and smooth) that I purchased at Restoration Hardware on sale several years ago and are among my favorites cause the color is perfect!








A look at the tree at night. Just love it!




My vintage sewing machine all outfitted for Christmas. The manger scene is Italian made by Fontanini and is one of my most treasured Christmas decorations. Each piece is hand painted and the figures are made out of a hard plastic material...which means they are kid friendly! Cole enjoyed "helping" me set it up. 






At night. I just love walking through the house when it's all dark and only the light of the manger scene is on. The bold letters of the chalkboard seem to pop out too and it's nothing short of beautiful.




The kitchen. Unfortunately our kitchen doesn't have any windows (thus the pictures aren't the greatest), but you'll get an idea of what I've done in here. 




I decked out the shelf with some of my pink "Johnson Bros." Christmas dishes, more greenery and pinecones, and some yummy treats in apothecary containers.








Ribbon candy! Makes me think of my Grandma Cole who always has this out in her home at Christmas :)




I love how this little dish mimics a snowflake. Sweet!




I think this tree was the only thing I bought this year. I love it's vintage look and how fluffy and shimmery it is. 




The dining room. I made the garland using fresh greenery, ribbon, and twinkle lights. I've never attempted to make a natural garland before this year and now that I have and know how easy it is...there's no going back. Not to mention the fake ones are expensive and this one was free! I really love the affect it gives and how it brings life to the entire room. 









Another manger scene set inside a silver-plated dish.




The other side of the dining room...




And lastly, the dining room table. (forgive the poor photo lighting). I kept it simple with vintage sheet music for placemats, a runner of sorts of white crocheted doilies that look like snowflakes, and more of my Christmas dishes atop gold chargers. 










And that's all! If you got to the bottom of this post, thanks for taking the time to enjoy my Christmas decorations! And if you were inspired to deck your halls too, write me and tell me about it!


Merry Merry Christmas,

Gail

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! We still have all of my Mom's Nativity scenes to put on our island in our kitchen.

Blessings,

Amy

Mom said...

What a fun and gorgeous trip through your home. I love how you document your life so well and share that with others. Gail, I especially love that you take a special joy in each item that you use and enjoy each piece that you were either given or have made. You inspire me and others to beautify our surroundings- because it makes a difference how we choose to live.

Merry Christmas Season,

Mom

Jessie said...

Beautiful Christmas pics!