Wednesday, December 9, 2009

{Consistency}

This past week Alice, the dear lady I cared for, passed away.

She was a special lady. I'll miss her and will always cherish the memories I had with her.

She would make me laugh with her funny sayings, her New Orleans accent, and unique outlook on life. She used to always say, "laugh and the world laughs with you...cry and you cry alone."

I think Alice had a lot of sadness in her life. I think she felt very alone. I know she did. She didn't like to talk about her feelings that much, but occasionally I got a sneak peek into what she was dealing with........

She would talk to me......

...and I would listen.


I never felt like I had done enough for this lady. There was always something more I wanted or wished I could do for her, to make her life brighter...and her sadness go away. But at her funeral service I heard something that encouraged my heart....that made me think, "maybe I did make a difference"....

When her son got up to speak about his Mother, he spoke about the lady she had been, the people she had touched....and interestingly enough....the people who had touched her.

When people die we often ask, "did I do enough...did I tell them I loved them enough....hug them enough....listen to them."

I know I'll never feel like I did everything I could have ever done for her....but this past Monday made me realize that I did do something. Every flower arrangement, lunch or dinner outing, shopping trip, conversation, kind word, shower given, dry cleaning errand....it was something....and more importantly.....

It was consistent.

A few weeks ago I had decided I was going to leave my job with Alice at Caruth Haven Court to pursue my floral designing. I was only working 2 hours a day, 3 times a week...and I needed to be working a little more.

Then she passed away. And you know what? After being with her for two years....


I'm glad I never had to tell her I wasn't going to be seeing her on a weekly basis....

I'm glad I was a constant in her life and that she knew I was going to be there for her....

I'm glad I never got to say goodbye.


When her son stood up and spoke about how I had influenced his mother by my consistency, I felt humbled, and it made me realize how much we all need consistency. We need people in our lives that will always love and be there for us no matter what, we need people that are consistently prodding and pursuing us, digging deeper than the surface, and seeing our hearts. Consistency brings security, and although Jesus Christ is the One who brings true security, I firmly believe He uses believers to meet one another's needs.

We see what happens when there is a lack of consistency in a people's lives:

*Children whose parents leave them end up with lowers self esteem and insecurity as adults....

*People who move around a lot from place to place end up feeling restless and without having a sense of "home"....

*People whose friends come and go tend to feel disengaged, scared of closeness, and alone....

*Children (or adults) who get mixed messages from peers, parents or spouses (I love you, BUT...) may end up struggling with their identity and feel insecure....

*People who do not have somewhat of a daily schedule (children especially) will feel bewildered, chaotic, insecure, and inharmonious.

And on and on it goes.


We all need consistency. Yes, Jesus Christ is the Meeter of all needs....but how might he be wanting to use you (and live through you) in someone's life to meet this need?


How are YOU consistent?


xoxo,

Gail

1 comment:

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

I know that you were a very special person in Alice's life. You bring joy into everyone's day just by being with them. I love you Gaily.

Love, Grace