Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pine Cone Topiary: Tutorial

When we were looking for rental houses last January and decided to move into the one where we now live, I knew it was going to be fun to bring out my decorations for Christmas. It had all the makings of a cozy, rustic Christmas....

The sealed brick floors....

The large stone fireplace....

Lots of wooden shelves perfect for displaying my Christmas decor....


And of course...


A large front window that faced the street (perfect for a Christmas tree!). I just love it when you go by someone's house and you can see their tree all lit up inside...it's like a cup of hot cider on a chilly day...warms you up inside. ;)

So I'm guessing you're expecting me to show you pictures of my holiday decor...actually no. I will (I promise!) in a day or so...but for now, I'm going to show you how to make a simple pine cone topiary using inexpensive craft store materials. Like me, you may already have these on hand. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{ Pine Cone Topiary }

Things You'll Need:

  • Lots of miniature pine cones (I gathered these in Lynchburg, VA while on vacation)
  • Hot glue gun & sticks
  • Wooden rod measuring about 2 ft
  • Styrofoam to stick rod into + 2 3" Styrofoam balls
  • Bucket or pot
  • Gold craft paint
  • Moss (could use material, cranberries or pebbles)
  • Ribbon (optional)
Plug your glue gun in to get it heated up. You'll be using a lot of glue,
so make sure you have enough. (I used nearly a whole bag of mini sticks).
Start by wedging your Styrofoam (I used a ball that I had) into your pot.
Make sure it's not going anywhere, and if needed, glue the side to make sure
it's secure.


Stick your rod right in the middle of your Styrofoam, then paint it gold.
This will dry in minutes. Hot glue around the hole to make sure it's secure.


Skewer your Styrofoam balls and place evenly apart. Hot glue.


Paint the top 2 balls with the gold paint. This will
disguise the Styrofoam if the pine cones don't cover it completely.


Starting with the top ball, glue pine cones on beginning
at the top, then working your way down to the bottom, gluing cones
intermittently with the layer before it.


When you are finished gluing all the pine cones,
take your gold paint and gently brush all over the cones.
This will give it a little Christmas glam without taking away
from the natural pine cone texture and appeal.
Push your moss around the base and finish it off with a fun,
Christmas ribbon. :)


And there you have it!
Ain't she lovely?


Note: Cranberries, peppermints, or small Christmas ornaments would also look fabulous. Let your imagination run wild! ;)


Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that looks so awesome! maybe next christmas i'll try one.

love ya, gwen