Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Owl Be Your Valentine {Tutorial}



Cole and I did some more Valentine's crafting yesterday and today, so I thought I would share with you how we made these little owl Valentine's using toilet paper tubes. Aren't they cute?! I've actually been saving up our T.P. tubes for the purpose of crafting with them, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity. And the best part- I had all the other materials on hand too (minus the treats)- score!

My sweet little helper. Here he is making Valentine cards for his cousins. :)


And here's Caleb giving me the evil eye for not including him (sorry baby) :(.




"Owl Be Your Valentine" Craft

Materials you'll need:
Toilet paper cardboard tubes (or paper towel tubes cut down)
Construction paper or other scrapbooking paper
Silly eyes
Tape
Glue stick
Scissors
Marker
Treats (to fill tubes)

First I cut out circles of construction paper with tabs to fit on the bottom of the tubes (so the treats wouldn't fall out when filled later).


And taped the tabs to the sides of the tube.



Afterwards I cut out my sheets of construction paper sized to the cardboard tubes, with a little extra for overhang.



And here it is glued securely to the tube.


Then the fun part- making it look like an owl! :) I cut beaks out of yellow construction paper first by cutting diamonds, then folding them in half.



And cutting out some teardrop-shaped owl "wings".



After that I cut some more construction paper for the bellies, wrote the message on them and glued them to the front. And lastly, I glued on the wings, eyes, beak, and folded down the top of the tube to create the "ears". 






I think they're pretty cute! Silly-looking, but cute. :) Next I'll fill them (from the top) with treats and fold the "ears" back down.


And here are my boys happily having a screaming contest during lunch.







Awww ...boys. :) 

xo,
Gail

No comments: