Wednesday, March 9, 2011

If Houses Could Talk...

Recently I've been on a journey to spruce things up in my home a bit and make it more "me". Truth be told, my home is far from expressing who I am. It's looking a bit drab and worn out. Okay, so maybe I am a little worn out these days...but that's far from what I want to be! Ha!

Also, it's just the same ol' same ol'. Not that I'm complaining (well...maybe a little, sorry)...but some things I've had since forever. Old books, frames and decorating items that I've had since my room growing up. That's a long time, people. The reason for keeping them isn't because I love them so much and they're treasured items (some I do)...but because I, either 1) haven't really noticed that I've had them for forever and that they've been in the same spot for....forever or 2) haven't had the money to replace them. If it was up to me I'd let go of probably 75% of what's in my home and replace it. I know, that's a lot. But it just isn't ME! Maybe it was at one time, but not anymore. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining....I promise there is a point to all this. ;0)

I don't know why it is so important as a homemaker to create a home that is a reflection of myself....but it is. Is that a desire God gave to women, or is that a man-made thing? Anyone? My thinking is is that what we surround ourselves with says a lot about who we are and what is in our hearts. If your home is a place of beauty, organization and calm (on more days than not...cause there's always exceptions *wink*)...then most likely that's the type of person you are as well. On the other hand, if your home is a constant place of chaos, mess and disorder....that could say a lot about you too. Not necessarily that you're a chaotic person, but that something deeper is going on in your heart. I might be getting a little off-track here, but it all ties together somehow.

So, in an effort to create a home that is a better representation of who I am and what I want the Matthew Gaffin family to portray, I'm making small changes here and there to improve our space. I'm trying to spend very little money and just re-vamp what I do have or put it in a new spot, because getting rid of everything and buying new stuff just isn't an option. I could have chosen new living room furniture, but instead I chose this.....




I wouldn't take back that decision for even a second!! ;0) He brings us more joy in each day than all the beautiful furnishings in the whole world could. True story! Man I love that little guy....

Anywho, back to topic. Last week I took a trip to good ol' Goodwill to try and find some treasures among the trash. There was a lot of sorting through the junk, but I did come home with a few goodies and spent less than $20.00. Yay!

This lamp was one of my finds...





All it needed was a little polishing up and a
shade. Best part is....I already had the shade
on hand from when I decorated the nursery
but I decided to go with another lamp.
I loved the silk shade so much (Walmart..around $10.00)
that I kept it knowing I would find a use for it. ;)




I really love the shape. I can totally see maybe
spray-painting it black or white in the future
if I decide to redo our Master. For now, the
gold really suits the reds, blacks and
teals we have going on now.




Fresh flowers always add something special. ;)




Lamp: $5.99




This Eiffel Tower lamp was what used to be on
our bedside table. I really like the new location
it's in (I'll save that for another post...it's sort
of a funny story).



So there you have it! Sometime soon I'll show you what I've been up to in my dining room. It involves sheet music and it looks awesome! I'm starting to see that it doesn't really take a lot of money to make changes that improve the look of your home. Even the smallest changes can have big impact. Yay! And when it comes down to it, it not about having the most beautiful home on the planet, but that the people who reside here and those who come into our home, the Gaffin home, feel welcomed, encouraged and uplifted. That's really the goal! The "stuff" is just a tool to get there.

Questions for thought: does the "stuff" in your home contribute to or distract from making your home a place that is welcoming, calming and a place of encouragement? How does your home make you feel? What message does your home send to others?


Have a peaceful and beautiful day,

Gail


P.S. I realize I've barely touched the tip of the iceburg on this subject of creating a home, the motives, the implications, how far is too far, how to accomplish this...etc. Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts. I'd love to hear! Thanks! ;0)

2 comments:

Ivy said...

Gail, if my house could talk I know exactly what it would say...."Help..." in a small, pitiful, pathetic voice...."help me..." ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love your house, Gaily, and it always feels SO welcoming-especially the other day:)

Love you!

Gwen