Thursday, April 15, 2010

Got Calcium?

I've been reading the following book....




....and its been so helpful! If you are pregnant and do not have this book, I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's a keeper. It answers every single imaginable question or concern you could think of, and has been the source of much relief to worries I have had. Love it. Oh, and if you're expecting to expect soon, it's for you too! {I know you're out there somewhere, ahem}. ;)

I also have been enjoying reading pregnancy magazines....one of which my doctor gave me a subscription to called "As Your Baby Grows" by American Baby. My nurse gave me my first mag at my first appointment...and I think I've already read it cover to cover, and some articles twice. :) Yep, I'm a newbie. I love the part about what my baby is developing each week, and what it's tiny body looks like at this stage. So amazing.

Well anyways, to the point of this post. The other night when I was {again} on one of my reading escapades, I read an article on nutrition that got me to thinking. Am I getting enough calcium in my diet? I supposedly need to be eating a lot more than I currently am...

I should be getting 1,000 mg of calcium every day. That equates to a little over 3- 8 oz. glasses of milk each day. Ouch. I'm not a milk drinker unless it's with cookies or in cereal. I don't dislike it, but I don't really like it solo that much, either.

What to do? What to do?

I know this dilemma might sound silly to you....but people....from here on out I was on a mission! Baby wanted calcium! I already knew that green vegetables like spinach and broccoli are calcium packed, but the chance of me eating lots of broccoli and spinach each day is slim to none. Sorry. I'm just being real. That's for dinner....on the side.



What a yummy mid-day snack. :)


Okay no.

When I was visiting my sister, Grace, in Corpus Christi last week (she is 7 mo. pregnant) she gave me lots of good ideas on how to get calcium into my diet without having to down the three glasses. Thank you so much, Gracie!

I had lots of fun going to the grocery the other day to pick out foods that both baby and me will like.

Here's what I came home with:




The perfect way to start my day: Simply Orange
juice fortified with calcium. It's pure, it's natural, and
it's 100% juice. DEE-lightful.



I was in love with this yogurt the first time
I laid lips on it. It has 8 active live cultures
and is all natural. So yummy.



Of course, cheese. Especially good as an afternoon snack
with crackers. Makes my tummy happy, too.




Grace introduced me to this: Silk's Pure Almond milk.
It's made from almonds so it has a slightly nutty-sweet flavor.
Really, really good! Thanks, Gracie.



How do you get your calcium the best? Want to share any secrets with me? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Post me a comment and you'll make my day.


Happy, healthy days ahead!


xoxo,

Gail

3 comments:

Grace said...

Of course you already know two of my favorite ways to get calcium...the fortified orange juice and almond milk...but here are some other tasty choices that I found that can add extra calcium to your diet:

* Salmon
* Okra
* White beans
* Baked beans
* Broccoli
* Peas
* Almonds

Some of these choices...okay, I'm talking the beans and the broc...might make you a little gassy...and what pregnant woman needs more of that...but I love ocra and they are a natural source of calcium PLUS some good fiber too!

Love you TONS!!!!!!!!!

Love, Grace

Unknown said...

I LOVE reading your thoughts. I loved your sentence, "The minute I laid lips on it." Your SO cute!!! Love you, Gail! Thank you for sharing your journey.

Tracey said...

Hi-Found you from Lettered cottage comment...just wanted to let you know...we lived in a rental for years...and I found a few theings to get by the restrictions...buy really big pieces (it covers up the walls that you "can't" paint), and do the same on your walls...big mirors etc. Just thought I'd tell you how I survived. Great blog-glad to find you!