Thursday, October 1, 2009

Carpe Diem

I read an impactful excerpt yesterday from a book called "The Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer (wife of well-known Christian philosopher Francis Schaeffer). I couldn't agree with it more so I thought I'd share it with you...

"It seems to me that, whether it is recognized or not, there is a terrific frustration which increases in intensity and harmfulness as time goes on, when people are always daydreaming of the kind of place in which they would like to live, yet never making the place where they do live into anything artistically satisfying to them. Always to dream of a cottage by a brook, while never doing anything original to the stuffy boarding-house room in a city; always to dream of a rock, glass and timber house on the cliffs above the sea, while never putting anything of yourself into the small village brick house; or to dream of what you could do with a hut in the jungle yet never to think of your inherited family mansion as anything but a place to mark time, is to waste creativity in this very basic area, and to hinder future creativity by not allowing it to grow and develop through use. Trying out all the ideas that come to you, within the limits of your present place, money, talents, materials and so forth, will not use up everything you want to save for the future, but will rather generate and develop more ideas."

This hit home for me. I, for one, am a dreamer, but this can be a hindrance if I let myself always think "I'll do that when__ happens or when we live in ___". I am always encouraged when I see people beautify the space they currently do have despite limitations, despite time inhibitors (ie. "we will only be here a year...why do anything to this place?"...), despite rental agreements, despite...despite...despite.

When you love living in the NOW, you'll want to make anywhere you are a home. This will look different for everybody, but whoever you are...

It will always stimulate, encourage, and bring a sense of home to your soul.

So don't wait for tomorrow's dreams...


Carpe Diem!

No comments: